integrating business and the public good
The Department of Business Ethics and Legal Studies (BELS) is the College’s interdisciplinary hub for research, teach and community engagement. BELS supports all Daniels programs to blend business, law, ethics and public policy into one platform of study, allowing you to become an exceptional multi-disciplinary decision-maker.
BELS will prepare you to be a thought leader in whatever field you choose.
- Be excited to attend every class—BELS classes are some of the most popular on campus because they focus on challenging issues of the day.
- Become an impactful communicator—The BELS curriculum is built around passionate discussion, presentations and debate. Learn to present great ideas with persuasive punch and panache.
- Ethics Boot Camp—Our signature quarterly event will challenge you as a business student and as a person. The program is a model for similar programs nationally.
Daniels has been recognized by Bloomberg’s Business Week as one of the “Top Undergraduate Business Schools for Ethics.” BELS carries the torch for this significant Daniels College legacy.
Asking the right questions
Our research seeks to identify issues of moral philosophy and applied ethics including:
- Corporate and white-collar crime
- Digital privacy
- Employment law
- Securities regulation
- Corporate governance
- Corporate political participation
- Business and human rights
- Ethics and sustainability of development
- Entrepreneurial law
Using The right tools
Our courses are designed to empower students with the knowledge, skills and analytical abilities they will need for enduring success:
- Ethical, legal, political and social awareness
- Critical and strategic thinking
- Effective decision-making
- Transactional competence
- Communication prowess
Taking the Right action
The BELS Department proudly leads some of the most innovative, timely and important co-curricular initiatives at the Daniels College of Business, including: